Today i am posting a very authentic method of eggplant/brinjal stuffed curry in Andhra style, Brinjal is the king of veggies, most of food lovers really carve for this. You know something we have a song describing this brinjal(Aha Emi Ruchi)in telugu. I am also a big lover of this curry, but my husband won't love to eat brinjal, he started eating after trying this way. It goes heavenly taste with combination of sambar.
- Wash the brinjal, wipe it with a wet cloth,Now take each brinjal and cut from the base end (opposite side of stem) and make a slit towards stem side but not all the way through i.e slit each brinjal into four sections lengthwise without cutting off the crown. The brinjal are ready for stuffing and the stuffing requires some patience. Note:here we can stuff directly to this raw brinjal's, but it consumes so much time if brinjal size is medium/big. So I usually deep fry the brinjal's before stuffing so that it takes less time to cook with gravy.
- Now heat oil in a kadai for deep frying, deep fry this brinjal till light brown and keep it a side for stuffing.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a kadai, add dry red chillies, black gram dal, chana dal, Ground nuts, coriander seeds, jeera and suate till dal turns red, allow it to cool.
- Now Take a mixer jar, add sauted dal, salt, chopped onion, grind to a coarse paste for stuffing.
- Stuff the slit brinjal with the masala paste, heat 1/2 cup or more and add this stuffed brinjals to the oil, remainig left over masala paste, mix well, allow it to saute for 10 minutes closing it with lid, till oil shows seperately and gravy is well cooked(in case you are stuffing into raw brinjal it's required to be sauted till brinjal cooks and mixes well with gravy(app. 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve as side dish with hot rice.