today I am posting very traditional indian sweet called gujiya. we make gujiyas with 5 different stuffings depending on occasion .I made this for ugadi, our new year. As it's our main festival pooran( Chanadal cooked as a sweet) has to be cooked for offering god so fest recipe will be obviuosly pooran poli. This time my husband suggested me to do this sweet n came out super perfect. My presentation is very poor as of now.
Wheat Flour - 1 cup
Maida/All purpose flour - 1 tablespoon
Ghee - 1 tablespoon
salt - a pinch
Water -as per consistency
Oil - to deep fry
Chana Dal - 2 cups
Sugar - 2 cups
Cardamom Powder - 1 teaspoon
Nutmeg Powder - 1 teaspoon
- Pressure cook chana dal till soft.
- Make a dough with wheat flour, maida, ghee same like puri dough by adding water. make sure that dough should be hard unlike roti dough. Keep covered n keep it a side.
- Now seive chana dal for any extra water then add sugar cardamom powder, nutmeg powder and grind to a paste.
- This is the most important step, take a heavy bottomed vessel and saute in low flame to get stuffing consistency. it's a very time consuming process. If u have microwave oven u can set for 10-15 mins depending up on quantity to get perfect consistency with very less effort. this is same process as for pooran poli.
- Now divide the dough into small lemon sized balls n roll it now place stuffing in center, apply oil to edges now close neatly n carefully so dat stuffing may not come out and shape using gujiya maker or design using hand/fork.
- Now deep fry in medium flame until light brown.