Idli Rava – 2 cups
Urad Dal - 1 cup
- Soak urad dal for about 2 hrs. Soak the idli rava in water separately just for an hour before mixing with urad dal batter. After 2 hours drain the water from the urad dal and grind till soft and fluffy and mix with the idli rava. Mix well.
- Place the mixture in a warm place for 8-10 hours or overnight to let the idli mixture ferment. The fermentation is slow in winter and quick during summer. The key to soft and fluffy idlis is in the fermentation process.
- After 10 hours you will find that the mixture will rise to at least double the volume. After fermentation, add salt and mix well. The batter is now ready to make idlis.
- Grease idli maker plates with some oil and fill with idli batter. Steam covered for about 10-12 minutes and remove each idli carefully with a spatula.
- Serve as a breakfast with chutney and sambar.